Here is an excellent recipe for dinner during these long winter evenings! An Asian variation on the traditional Belgian “waterzooi” devised by Marie-Agnès Bernard of the “Art’Isane” B&B at Evrehailles .
An Asian variation on the traditional Belgian “waterzooi”
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 chicken, skin removed
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion stuck with 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 small leek
- 2 small leeks, cut into julienne sticks
- 150g pleurote mushrooms, sliced
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
- 3 medium-sized carrots, cut into julienne sticks
- 1 head of broccoli cut into small florets
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 carton creamed coconut
- 1 stem lemon grass, finely chopped and crushed
- 1cm root ginger, peeled, finely chopped and crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- bunch coriander (or parsley), chopped
- 3 ladles chicken stock
Place the chicken in a casserole and sprinkle over the court-bouillon vegetables. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil on the hob, then cover and reduce heat so that the water is just simmering. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, without letting it boil.
Individual bowls of boiled Thai sticky rice.