The "Charming Bed & Breakfast" label is the sign of recognition and distinction of our choice of establishments. It is awarded to addresses that we have visited, and thus is a guarantee of quality standards among our selection. The comments written by us and photos taken by us during our visits allow us to present an honest, realistic view of each address, thus attracting an informed and motivated clientele. Both the owners and their guests are thus protected. Our label is displayed on our website, in our printed guidebook and on annually-issued enamel signs which we invite the owners to display on the outside wall of their establishments.
All our member establishments have been visited (and are regularly revisited) by our inspectors, who select them based on the following criteria: surroundings, charm of the buildings, warmth of welcome to guests, comfort, quality of furniture and decoration and standard of food served.. The name of the inspector and the date of the latest visit are mentioned on each establishment's web page.
The growth in the number of "Bed & Breakfasts" and the wide variety of types of guest accommodation in the different regions of the three countries currently covered has led us to devise our own three categories:
- Charming Bed & Breakfast or guest rooms (you stay in the owners' home)
- Charming holiday homes or self-catering accommodation available on short-term or longer-term leases
- Charming small hotels or charming inns with up to 12 guest rooms These three categories are part of the same philosophy and have the same selection criteria.
Launched in 1995, our guidebook has become a benchmark. It is published in French, Dutch and English versions, and is available from bookshops in Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, the Netherlands and France. A new edition is published every two years, and each new edition receives considerable press attention. Our organisation also has stands at B&B trade fairs and exhibitions in Brussels and Paris. You can also buy a copy of the guidebook via our website.
Our websites www.maisondhote.com, www.gastenkamer.com and www.bedbreakfast.be are attractive, easy to find and full of useful information. They attract around 500 visitors per day, (more than 15,000 per month) and are available in French, Dutch and English versions. They each feature "Latest Discoveries" and allow us to regularly update the details of our selected establishments. Visitors can search for establishments by country or by other criteria (category, province, place-name, theme, capacity, price, admission for pets, acceptance of smokers). The websites also offer links to tourist information websites in Belgium and abroad.
Newsletters are regularly sent to B&B owners to keep them up to date with our activities and to website visitors to keep them up to date with our "Latest Discoveries", special offers and last-minute deals.
We choose the establishments on the basis of the owners' answers to our questionnaire and our inspector's visit report. We then add them to the websites (and the next edition of the guidebook) as soon as the owners pay their subscription for a minimum period of two consecutive years (which guarantees at least one listing in the guidebook, a new version of which is published every two years). Our membership subscription prices are revised annually.
- for B&Bs with one or two guest rooms: € 120 (+VAT)
- for B&Bs with three to five guest rooms: € 180 (+VAT)
- for holiday homes and small hotels: € 240 (+VAT)
- A one-off administrative chage of €95 (for all categories) is payable with the first year's subscription.
During your membership, you will benefit from:
- Your own page on our websites www.maisondhote.com, www.gastenkamer.com and www.bedbreakfast.be (in French, Dutch and English) with personalised photos taken by our own photographer (2 for B&Bs with 1 or 2 guest rooms, 6 for B&Bs with 3 to 5 rooms and 10 for holiday homes and small hotels and personalised description written by us, including contact details, description of the guest rooms, buildings and surroundings, prices, details of food available and things to do and see or visit nearby.
- A link to your website and your email address which allows you to receive bookings direct from clients (with no commission to pay to us).
- Regular updates of your details based on information supplied by you.
- A feature for at least one month as one of or "Latest Discoveries" to boost your establishment's presence on our website.
- Our Last Minute deals, updated each week, allow you to announce special offers for the following weekend
- Our monthly Newsletter tells you about or activities, our presence at holiday exhibitions and shows, press articles, etc. as well as the statistics for views of your page on our website.
- We also send a free monthly Newsletter to visitors to our website who request it : currently there are about 10,000 individuals on our mailing list. The Newsletter gives details of our "Latest Discoveries" and our "Last Minute" deals.
- Publicity via our stands at B&B trade fairs and exhibitions in Belgium and France, and via press articles and radio & television reports.
Members who pay their subscriptions for two consecutive years also receive:
- A full-page feature in the printed guidebook "Maisons d'hôtes de caractère", "Karaktervolle gastenkamers" and "Charming Bed & Breakfasts" (the French, Dutch and English versions of our guidebook) with two photos, a description of the establishment, contact details, prices, availability of meals and things to do and see nearby.
- 2-4 free copies of every guidebook (in your choice of language) in which your establishment is featured.